Thursday, August 26, 2010

Back To School

Yesterday began a new school year for Claire. She started 6th grade, next year she's off to jr. high school, yikes!

This is my last semester for my AA degree (FINALLY). I hope to finish the BA part of my degree, in elementary education, starting either next semester or next fall.

To celebrate the first day back at school I made a nice dinner, red wine pot roast. Word to wise don't attempt to prepare dinner in a hurry. I was trying to start the roast in between my classes (1 hour of time) and was cutting onions and almost sliced through my finger! Eek! I really enjoy this recipe it's very flavorful.

Red Wine Pot Roast:

3lb boneless chuck roast
2 tbsp canola oil
Herb and garlic blend seasonings (to taste)
salt and pepper (to taste)
8 large cloves of garlic smashes and chopped
1 large onion chopped
1/2 cup red wine
3 large carrots (I didn't add these as we don't like cooked carrots)
3 large russet potatoes peeled and cubed

In a large heavy pot (with lid) heat oil, sprinkle and rub seasonings over all sides of roast.

Then sear the roast (brown it) on the stove on both sides over med to high heat (approx 3 mins each side). Do not move roast during searing or it won't brown up nicely.

Once browned lift roast out of pot and place onions and garlic at bottom of pot and place roast back on top. Add the wine and cover. Simmer for 3 1/2 hours. Then add cut potatoes and carrots (you may add additional seasoning at this time as well) and simmer for additional 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment